Oregon and Washington offer similar regulations surrounding SR-22 Insurance. Here’s the run down of what you need if you are in Oregon, and in need of an SR22. The state of Oregon uses the SR-22 form to help protect residents from drivers who are considered high risk. The SR-22 form illustrates that a driver has had some negligent driving issues in that past, but does carry auto insurance now, and that the auto insurance company is aware of the reckless driving record and responsible. In Oregon, the state does not send notifications and it is the responsibility of the driver and the auto insurance company to submit the form as well as the renewals, to the Oregon DMV, if required.

First, when do you need SR-22 Insurance in Oregon?

SR-22 is a document that proves you have car insurance. The actual paperwork is done by the insurance company, which is then filed with the department of motor vehicles, or the Oregon DMV. Most think that the SR-22 is actually an insurance policy, but its really the proof you have car insurance.

In most cases in Oregon, an SR-22 is needed when a driver needs to reinstate their driver’s license after being convicted of a DUI, reckless driving, driving without insurance or other types of violations where their license was suspended. In Oregon, it is required whether you own a vehicle or not because you need it just to get your license back. How long you need an SR-22 depends on the conviction you have, but typically its 5 years after a DUI if you live in Oregon state.

SR-22 Insurance usually requires higher premiums to be paid because of the high-risk driving situation. Insurance companies see that you’ve had a run-in in that past, so they want to be extra careful with coverage. If you don’t pay your premiums for your SR-22, then an SR-26 is filed, and your license will be suspended again until you refile for another SR-22. Its important that once you get the SR-22 in Oregon, that you pay the premiums.

The SR-22 financial responsibility Insurance form is required in the following cases in Oregon:

  1. If you have any safety responsibility suspensions (Type Action 04, which involves uninsured motorists who did not pay for damages or injuries they caused). For example, if an uninsured driver was involved in an accident in the past but did not pay the requisite compensation then he or she needs to fill the SR-22.
  2. If you have any unsatisfied judgment suspensions (Type Action 06, a suspension resulting from a civil judgment entered against a driver involved in an accident that remains unsatisfied). For example, if a driver involved in an accident in the past has an unsatisfactory judgment entered against him then he or she needs to fill the SR-22.
  3. In case of revocations of license (Type Action 01 and 02).
  4. In the case of mandatory insurance supervisions.
  5. For individuals who have received more than three convictions for mandatory insurance violations.

Premiums for SR-22 Insurance in Oregon:

Insurance companies look at many variables when determining your premiums. These variables are based on their statistics and information with different types of drivers.

  • Driving record and accidents. Moving violations, DUIs, and accident claims trigger higher rates.
  • Credit score. Bad credit scores trigger higher rates.
  • Miles driven.  Drive less, pay less.
  • Occupation. Jobs involving driving or heavy commutes may trigger higher rates.
  • Location. Higher crime rates in your neighborhood or a density of population (cities) will cause rates to rise.
  • Age. Drivers under 25 pay more; drivers between 50 and 65 pay less.
  • Gender and marital status. Women have fewer accidents and pay less than men. A married person is considered more stable and will receive a lower rate than a driver with a similar record.
  • Type of car. The more powerful or expensive, the higher premium because high performance cars attract riskier drivers and expensive cars are more costly to repair.

There are three different types of SR-22 forms:

  1. The Operator’s Certificate covers the financial responsibility in the case the motorist does not own a vehicle.
  2. The Owner’s Certificate covers the financial responsibility for vehicles owned by the motorist.
  3. The Operators-Owners Certificate covers financial responsibility for all the vehicles that are owned or non-owned by the motorist.